Eblen Charities is recruiting an AmeriCorps position in partnership with Project Power
Eblen Charities AmeriCorps Member Position
Eblen Charities, a nonprofit organization based in Asheville, NC is seeking an AmeriCorps member to help us advance our work.
Position: Events coordinator
Location: Eblen Charities in Asheville, NC
Eblen Charities is a community-based charity that helps families and individuals during times of crisis and hardship, with medical, financial, and other emergency needs. We serve thousands of people annually with practical help for everyday problems.
This position will allow us to better serve our clients by providing support to plan and execute events for the agency. This includes client facing events such as clothing giveaways (formal dresses and winter clothing), food and school supply giveaways; as well as fundraising events such as golf tournaments and our annual Walk, Run or Roll.
This position will be supervised by the Director of Development and Events. Contact information: Beth Russo, [email protected]
Eblen Charities has served the WNC community for more than 30 years with financial and practical support for everyday needs. We help people avoid homelessness, have homes with working utilities, ensure that low-income children have school supplies, shoes, and clothing, and distribute holiday meals, toys, and warm winter items. We help people with financial support for medical needs – like eyeglasses and prescriptions.
We hold client facing events throughout the year, including distribution of winter clothing, formal dresses for proms and weddings, school supply distribution, Thanksgiving meal giveaways, and the St. Nicholas Project, a free “store” filled with new toys and teens items that low-income parents can shop at. We also host fundraising events throughout the year.
The AmeriCorps position will provide practical and logistical support to the Director of Development and Events. Work includes developing ideas and planning events, conducting research, assisting with logistical planning, coordinating volunteers, improving our delivery of services and communications support.
The ideal candidate is passionate about supporting people who are living in poverty, is energetic and solutions focused, has strong communications skills, and enjoys working with people.
● Create systems that help our agency develop, plan, and execute multiple events.
● Create, in partnership with the Development and Events Director, an annual calendar of events for Eblen Charities.
● Coordinate event logistics under supervision and with support.
● Create guest lists and manage communication with them as needed.
● Develop event management systems to effectively plan and execute events and evaluate them after the event.
● Work with volunteers as needed.
● Promote the work of Eblen Charities (primarily through media channels) as capacity allows.
● Help maintain a positive, supportive, and collaborative work environment.
● Collaborate with Director of Development and Events to learn about existing logistics, and to explore possibilities for improvement.
● Collaborates closely with staff and volunteers to plan, organize and host multiple events throughout the year.
● Strong interpersonal and communication skills with ability and desire to work with a diverse group of volunteers, staff, and community members.
● Ability to work collaboratively.
● Flexibility with job duties and willingness to contribute to the needs of the organization
● Passion for the wellbeing of people and suspension of judgment around others’ life circumstances.
Experience and Requirements:
● Clean driver’s license.
● Computer proficiency.
● Non-profit work experience is a plus.
1) Citizenship or permanent residency status (Green Card)
2) Able to pass a criminal background check
2) High School or GED education as well as a valid drivers license.
3) 18 years of age or older
Service Length: August 2022 – July 2023; Tuesday through Friday 9 – 5 with occasional nights and weekends as needed.
Benefits: Stipend insurance coverage
If offered this position, the candidate must agree to a National Sex Offender check, North Carolina criminal check, and FBI check. Selection for service in the AmeriCorps program is contingent upon the organization’s review of the NSCHC component results.
Eblen Charities is committed to a fair and equitable workplace. We do not discriminate against a member on the basis of race, color, religious creed, ancestry, union membership, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, nor political affiliation.